Flames surrounded her within her sightline. That’s all that she could see standing in front of her. She knew that she would rise above the fire to become a phoenix rising from the ashes set around her world. She would set a path blazing behind her with every step she took towards the sunlight. She would set fire to her past, leaving only her present in front of her for the taking.
Today I will be interviewing one of my favorite creative content designers on the Etsy platform explaining how she began her small business, what inspired her designs for her audience, and where she is now in her career online with her shop.
- What is the significance behind the name HannahElleCo? – When trying to choose a name for my shop I wanted to come up with something that was meaningful to me. It took me a long time to land on an official name, but that was something that wanted to have set in stone before I officially launched my store! I didn’t think that my name really rhymed with anything, because my middle name is actually Elizabeth. One day I was talking about it with my mom, and she just says “why don’t you just shorten it to Elle, and it would sound better.” In that moment I was like wow you’re right. Technically my mom actually helped me come up with my shop name!
- What does the term shop small mean to you? – Prior to starting my own small business, I am not sure what the term “shop small” meant. I knew that there were smaller businesses who deserved our support, but I did not did not realize to what extent. I know that this is cliche, but large e-commerce websites like Amazon don’t do a ‘happy dance’ when you order from them, but small shops like myself do! I think it is so important to shop small because we put so much thought and time into every single thing we make! When you shop local or small businesses, not only are you getting a unique product but you are also getting to be a part of a community. I definitely think that we should continue to celebrate small business culture!
- When was the moment you knew you had the creative niche/ability to turn your hobby into a career for yourself? – Ever since I can remember. Art in general has been a key part of my life. In high school I was a part of our AP art program where I was able to thrive artistically. After graduating and going off to college I found myself not really having the time for that creative outlet anymore, which was really hard for me. When COVID-19 hit, I was able to fall back to that passion once again, as I finally had the time. It’s funny because I actually did not initially start my business thinking that it would turn into what it has. It actually evolved down a few paths. Last spring I started out by painting a table for my roommates and I. My friend’s brother saw it and wanted one for himself. I had so much fun making his vision come true with that process, but it was extremely time-consuming and took me around 3 weeks to finish.
- As far as the creative process/when creating what inspires your designs? – When it comes to my creative process, I wouldn’t say that there is one thing in particular that inspires my designs! It’s actually kind of funny because most of my ideas just pop into my head randomly throughout the day, and I will put out the notes section in my phone and quickly jot down my thought before it disappears. Most, if not all of my designs have come to me at the most random times. I find it super hard for me to make myself sit down and focus on coming up with a design. Most times I’ll just come out empty-handed.
- For your shop, which design has been your favorite to make? – I have honestly had so much fun creating all of my designs! I think I would say my favorite ones to create have been my most recent shirt and crewneck. I just think that the bright bubblegum pink was so fun to use!
- Was there ever a mentor/inspirational figure that inspired you to start your business? If so, who and why? – There has never really been a specific mentor in my life who has owned a business to help me. I have had to navigate this process through a lot of late nights and endless researching. I would have to say I am thankful for my mom. She has been so supportive of me throughout this whole process and pushing me to continue.
- Did you ever think you would be where you are now in your career today? – When I started my small business, I definitely did not think I would be where I am today. While I still think I have a lot of more growing to do, when I first started out I thought that it was just going to be a fun hobby making stuff for friends and I to wear. I am so thankful to all my friends, family, and everyone who has supported me throughout the way, pushing me to go on.
- If you could give advice to someone starting out on this career-path what would you say to them? – If I could give advice to someone just starting out and wanting to create their own small business, I would honestly tell them to just start. That is the hardest part of it all, at least I know it was for me.
- What has been your favorite experience within your journey as an Etsy business-owner? – I would have to say my favorite part of becoming a small business owner has just been all the people that I have met throughout the journey. I have met so many genuine individuals through Instagram, who have been so supportive of me. It is crazy to say that, because before I started my shop I never thought I would have been able to build actual friendships over the Internet. Truly I am so appreciative.
- Where do you see yourself and your business in the next year? – In the next year, I really hope that I can continue to grow Hannah Elle Co and continue creating designs that I love! It means so much to me to see people wearing and enjoying things that I have designed.
Follow Hannah Elle Co on Etsy for more creative content, and inspiring designs. She is truly such a talent to the Etsy platform, and I highly recommend anyone looking for fun fashions to look no further. Her shop is right here. https://www.etsy.com/shop/HannahElleCo
Today I’ll be interviewing Jess Bangaree a fashion influencer and digital creator about her experiences in the digital space of the world, as well as her career in The Big Apple.
- What’s it like living in the Big Apple? – New York city is the heart of my inspiration. Growing up, living 15 minutes away from the city has ALWAYS been a blessing that I am grateful for every single day. The colors, energy, and uniqueness are what fuel my passion to create things that will resonate with people.
- Who in the city is your biggest inspiration? – I get a lot of my inspiration from similar bloggers in New York City. There is something about seeing women create this content that makes you feel like you are a part of their adventures. I have a lot of idols that are also outside of the city and they push me to create things out of my small little area of the world.
- Would you say city-life has influenced your current style? – I would say my current style is inspired by my past, present and I’m always looking to change and evolve for the future better! New York City is always where I get my best ideas because there’s so much going on and it for sure jumpstarts my creativity.
- How did you discover your passion for social media within your career? –I discovered my love for content creation in college when I was constantly doing something. If it was with my friends, family, or just by myself, I looked at Instagram as a collection of my best memories. After college, the post-grad life was different and I didn’t know how to get used to it. Picking up Instagram has been the most incredible experience as my true creative outlet. I am able to inspire people in so many different ways, and that’s what motivates me to take it full speed.
- Was there an experience that inspired you/changed you for the better within your career? – Behind every motivated person is definitely a story. For me, it was after college when I needed to step into the real world and get a ‘big girl job’. To say the least, I was pretty miserable. I was following the norm, having the same routine every single day 5 days a week. I felt drained even though I wasn’t working my hardest – That was my biggest indicator that I need something bigger than what I was settling for. Picking up Instagram has satisfied my creativity, and makes me feel like I am making an impact, something a 9-5 job could never give me.
- What advice would you give someone dreaming of beginning a career like yours? – Keep dreaming and dream so big that you feel yourself outgrowing the things around you. It is ok to be uncomfortable. It is ok to feel different. It is ok to feel like you want more. These things can bring you to the next best thing. Do what is the best for YOU, and never feel bad about it. The consistency and drive are what get the most successful people the furthest.
- If you could trade places with any celebrity/public figure who would it be & why? – I think if I had to trade places with anyone, it would be Delaney Childs. She has always been my muse and she lives in Cali, a life that I have never known! I would love to see what the vibes are like in a different part of the US.
- What are some of your favorite beauty/skincare staples in your collection? – Some beauty products I have currently been loving are Dermalogica products, as I am someone who has dealt with acne for a large portion of my life. I also still swear by Mario Badescu facial sprays! I use them 3-4 times a day.
- Have you ever been inspired to create your own brand for yourself? – Creating my own brand has ALWAYS been a huge goal of mine. It is in the game plan for the future (fingers crossed).
- Where do you see yourself in the next year within business/career? – I’ve been taking things day by day but each month, I grow a little more. Sometimes I grow more than I ever anticipated. I feel that within this career and hobby, things can change rather quickly depending on consistency. I hope to be at 10k followers next year and definitely want to have more collaborations under my belt. My goal is to never stop growing, learning and moving towards the next best thing!
To keep up with Jess you can find her on Instagram posting her latest & greatest trends. 💋💋 https://www.instagram.com/jessbangaree/
Today I’ll be interviewing YouTube Personality Leilani Nicole about her business, being an influencer, and starting her new project Lei It All Out There Podcast.
- What made you begin your journey on YouTube? – Back when I was in middle school, my mom introduced me to the OG Youtube queen, Bethany Mota. I was obsessed with her videos and started discovering other channels that I enjoyed as well. I had always loved filming and editing so I decided to create a beauty & fashion channel of my own. Ever since starting my channel back in 2013, I have truly fallen in love with creating content and producing videos.
- Who are your style influences? Is there anyone you look up to in the fashion world that you aspire to be like/admire? – I wouldn’t necessarily say anyone has “influenced” my style. But, I do love Kendall Jenner and Vanessa Hudgen’s styles. I have always admired how adorable Vanessa’s outfits are.
- How would you describe your personal style? – My personal style is girly, trendy, and comfortable. Whenever I am going to class or going out to dinner with friends, I always try to look presentable and trendy. On days when I don’t feel like dressing up and just want to be comfortable, I like to spice up the outfit with jewelry pieces so it looks as though I put more effort into my outfit.
- List your favorite fashion staples you’re loving at the moment. – I am absolutely loving the small hoops trend. Prior to last year, you would never catch me wearing earrings, especially not hoops. But, now I will not leave the house without a cute pair of earrings. They are the cherry on top when it comes to curating any outfit.
- What is the most meaningful advice you’ve ever received? – Although it is so simple and cliche, I think the most meaningful piece of advice I have received is that I can do anything I set my mind to. As I have learned more and more about manifestation and the law of attraction, I have realized that nothing is impossible. It’s all about shifting your mindset and eliminating all negative thoughts.
- What advice would you tell your younger self if you had the chance? – I would tell my younger self that she can do anything she sets her mind to and to always remain motivated. I feel like I have grown so much over the past couple years and have started to find myself. When I was younger, I definitely held myself back because of fear and dealing with fake friends. But, now I would say I am in a much better headspace.
- How would yourself in 3 words & why? –I would describe myself as happy, positive, and friendly. I would say that I have always been a happy and positive person for all my life. I enjoy lifting up others and being the sunshine on a cloudy day. Life is such a beautiful thing so I try to find the joy in everything. I also try to be a friend to everyone and someone who you can go to for anything.
- Who is your biggest inspiration? – My biggest inspiration is my lovely mother. She has always pushed me to reach for the stars and has been the most amazing teacher. I would not be the woman I am today if it weren’t for my mom being real and honest. She wants the best for me and is truly my number one fan.
- If you had a wish and could travel anywhere across the world where would you travel? – This is so difficult to narrow down to just one place! But, I would absolutely love to travel to Mykonos, Greece. It truly looks like heaven on Earth and has always been on my travel bucket list.
- What would you say to anyone wishing to start their own platform? – Honestly, go for it! Having a platform where I can share my happiness and my favorite things is absolutely incredible. There is room for success for everyone who wants to be a content creator. I feel like now more than ever is the time to dive head first into creating a social media presence. The influencer world is the future of marketing. It’s also a great way to use your voice!
- For you, what was the process like to create your own podcast Lei It All Out There Podcast? – I have had the idea of creating my own podcast in the back of my mind for about a year now. I have been listening to podcasts for about two and a half years now and I find so much enjoyment in hearing the people I look up to discuss specific topics. Back in early December of 2020, I got to be a guest on one of my friend’s podcasts and that was the day I officially decided to create my own podcast. So for the next few weeks, I started preparing for my podcast release date (January 4th, 2021) and I have been absolutely loving it! It makes me so happy to hear that people have been enjoying my podcast episodes.
- What was the inspiration behind the project? – I was inspired by the hosts of the Chicks in the Office podcast and the Gals on the Go podcast. I have been listening to their podcasts for a couple years and look forward to their weekly episodes. I just truly enjoy creating content and can see this being a side hustle.
- For the new year where do you see yourself & your business? – I am honestly shooting for the stars this year. I want to reach 100,000 subscribers on YouTube and have 10,000 downloads on my podcast. As I mentioned before, I want to make this my side hustle and maybe potentially make this a full time thing.
Be sure to check out her channel https://www.youtube.com/user/LoveLeichannel
Reimagining Huda Beauty’s New Nude Palette comes the Naughty Nude Palette. The Naughty Nude Palette was created to embrace your wild side unapologetically. Once the product was finished, ready to be sold to the public Huda gave her viewers an in-depth insight on the reasons why it was made. Huda’s handwriting holds the history behind the palette. She stated that she felt immense pain and shame growing up for who she was on the outside, which impacted her on the inside. Growing through this experience now as an entrepreneur, bad-ass business woman she wants to empower and inspire others through the art of makeup. Huda Beauty is centered around feeling sexy for yourself and no one else.
Feeling empowered in your own skin is something that is truly unmatched in this world. How you see yourself shines through with everything you do in your life. In a world that tells women to be everything except themselves, it’s courageous to shine for everything that you are for the world to see.
The Naughty Nude Palette comes with 18 shades for a sexy, sultry look. My two favorite pigments in the palette are Filthy a soft blush shade and Please Me a glitter pigment with a gold undertone to the eyeshadow. Both are very different, yet contrast in the best possible way. Filthy is a muted pastel shade that can be used all over the lid for a modern twist to the trend of bare beauty. Please Me reminds me of a bronzy, champagne shade that can be added to darken any makeup look up a bit. Both aspects of beauty are very different and still remain the same. There is no one true definition to this word. You as an individual can create what is beautiful to you using this array of shadows to create a masterpiece of your own. Beauty is anything you choose to make it.