Today I will be interviewing one of my favorite creative content designers on the Etsy platform explaining how she began her small business, what inspired her designs for her audience, and where she is now in her career online with her shop.
- What is the significance behind the name HannahElleCo? – When trying to choose a name for my shop I wanted to come up with something that was meaningful to me. It took me a long time to land on an official name, but that was something that wanted to have set in stone before I officially launched my store! I didn’t think that my name really rhymed with anything, because my middle name is actually Elizabeth. One day I was talking about it with my mom, and she just says “why don’t you just shorten it to Elle, and it would sound better.” In that moment I was like wow you’re right. Technically my mom actually helped me come up with my shop name!
- What does the term shop small mean to you? – Prior to starting my own small business, I am not sure what the term “shop small” meant. I knew that there were smaller businesses who deserved our support, but I did not did not realize to what extent. I know that this is cliche, but large e-commerce websites like Amazon don’t do a ‘happy dance’ when you order from them, but small shops like myself do! I think it is so important to shop small because we put so much thought and time into every single thing we make! When you shop local or small businesses, not only are you getting a unique product but you are also getting to be a part of a community. I definitely think that we should continue to celebrate small business culture!
- When was the moment you knew you had the creative niche/ability to turn your hobby into a career for yourself? – Ever since I can remember. Art in general has been a key part of my life. In high school I was a part of our AP art program where I was able to thrive artistically. After graduating and going off to college I found myself not really having the time for that creative outlet anymore, which was really hard for me. When COVID-19 hit, I was able to fall back to that passion once again, as I finally had the time. It’s funny because I actually did not initially start my business thinking that it would turn into what it has. It actually evolved down a few paths. Last spring I started out by painting a table for my roommates and I. My friend’s brother saw it and wanted one for himself. I had so much fun making his vision come true with that process, but it was extremely time-consuming and took me around 3 weeks to finish.
- As far as the creative process/when creating what inspires your designs? – When it comes to my creative process, I wouldn’t say that there is one thing in particular that inspires my designs! It’s actually kind of funny because most of my ideas just pop into my head randomly throughout the day, and I will put out the notes section in my phone and quickly jot down my thought before it disappears. Most, if not all of my designs have come to me at the most random times. I find it super hard for me to make myself sit down and focus on coming up with a design. Most times I’ll just come out empty-handed.
- For your shop, which design has been your favorite to make? – I have honestly had so much fun creating all of my designs! I think I would say my favorite ones to create have been my most recent shirt and crewneck. I just think that the bright bubblegum pink was so fun to use!
- Was there ever a mentor/inspirational figure that inspired you to start your business? If so, who and why? – There has never really been a specific mentor in my life who has owned a business to help me. I have had to navigate this process through a lot of late nights and endless researching. I would have to say I am thankful for my mom. She has been so supportive of me throughout this whole process and pushing me to continue.
- Did you ever think you would be where you are now in your career today? – When I started my small business, I definitely did not think I would be where I am today. While I still think I have a lot of more growing to do, when I first started out I thought that it was just going to be a fun hobby making stuff for friends and I to wear. I am so thankful to all my friends, family, and everyone who has supported me throughout the way, pushing me to go on.
- If you could give advice to someone starting out on this career-path what would you say to them? – If I could give advice to someone just starting out and wanting to create their own small business, I would honestly tell them to just start. That is the hardest part of it all, at least I know it was for me.
- What has been your favorite experience within your journey as an Etsy business-owner? – I would have to say my favorite part of becoming a small business owner has just been all the people that I have met throughout the journey. I have met so many genuine individuals through Instagram, who have been so supportive of me. It is crazy to say that, because before I started my shop I never thought I would have been able to build actual friendships over the Internet. Truly I am so appreciative.
- Where do you see yourself and your business in the next year? – In the next year, I really hope that I can continue to grow Hannah Elle Co and continue creating designs that I love! It means so much to me to see people wearing and enjoying things that I have designed.
Follow Hannah Elle Co on Etsy for more creative content, and inspiring designs. She is truly such a talent to the Etsy platform, and I highly recommend anyone looking for fun fashions to look no further. Her shop is right here. https://www.etsy.com/shop/HannahElleCo